Biography of Ar. Datuk Tan Pei Ing
B.Arch. (Hons) University of Melbourne
FPAM, FMIID, FRAIA, Hon. FAIA, Hon. KIRA, Hon. ASA, Hon. FCARM, MIArbs
Ar. Datuk TAN Pei Ing is the Founder and principal of PI Architect since 1989. Her firm has undertaken a wide range of projects including shopping malls, hotels, commercial and residential developments.
Pei Ing is known as the first female President of the Malaysian Institute of Architects (PAM) and Past President of the Architects Regional Council of Asia (ARCASIA). She remains very active professionally as follow: –
• Past President on Council of PAM
• Member of the Board of Architects Malaysia and Chair of Practice Committee
• Advisor of ARCASIA
• International Union Architects (UIA) Region IV council member (2017-2021)
• Member of UIA Professional Practice Commission (PPC)
• Member of Melbourne University Asia Advisory Board
• Director of Greenbuildingindex Sdn Bhd
Pei Ing is very involved with the government and agencies in formulating various policies and laws that affected the building industry and contributed to nation building and aspirations. She is a strong advocate for ‘Social Responsibility’. She was responsible in developing the ‘UIA Policy of Gender Equity in Architecture’. She also contributed greatly to the practice of architecture. She chaired the Committee that drafted the ‘PAM 2006 Contract’ and was also involved in the updating of the ‘PAM 2018 Contract’. She co-authored the ‘Handbook for PAM Contract 2006’.
Her contribution and advocacy in socially responsible architecture, professional practice and gender equity have influenced government and practice policies that ensure and enrich a more diverse and sustainable built environment.
Pei Ing was conferred with Honorary and Fellow membership from AIA, KIRA, AuIA, FCARM and MIID. She was also presented with a number of prestigious awards, such as: –
• ‘The ‘Malaysia Construction Industry Excellence Premier Award : Construction Leading Lady award 2015’
• ‘Distinguished Australian Alumni Award 2016’
• Board of Architects Malaysia President’s Award 2017
• Malaysian Institute of Architects Gold Medal for Service 2019.